Jim and I got our act together today and had a go at sorting out the back yard after the builders have finished out there. It's a bit of a building site and we haven't decided exactly what we're going to do with it, but did manage to make some progress.
Round the side of The Deenery was our old path, messy and more so since the demolition of the old barn. This is Jim just starting:He had to dig up lots of clay first and try and make an edge, so that the gravel on the path wouldn't escape!
This is the finished job. A much wider path, flat and covered in gravel. Much better.
It looks even better from the other side as you can see its full width.
We also swept the inside of the old barn and generally tidied it up.
It's all looking a bit better now. I have been searching out flat stones to make a patio in front of the double doors you can see above.
Here's me in my green wellies, working gloves and clothes on and looking very fat!!
When we swept the floor, we discovered some odd holes in the old floor:
I presume there were 4 posts of some sort in the holes. A mystery. The back wall and side wall of the barn were made of clay! Amazing. This is one section of it:
Some of it had been painted so presumably it was a dwelling at first.
Here am I, working on the road at the back of the old barn. We were both amazed at how much better it looked at the end of the day. Still loads more to do of course, but it's a start. Do click on any of the photos to get a detailed view.
Tomorrow will be a post about my ATCs and others I have received in the post, plus some super bits and bobs from my bloggy friends. Phew, such a short blog today!