Sunday, October 4, 2009

Busy Day at The Deenery, 4th October, 2009

Jim and I got our act together today and had a go at sorting out the back yard after the builders have finished out there. It's a bit of a building site and we haven't decided exactly what we're going to do with it, but did manage to make some progress.

Round the side of The Deenery was our old path, messy and more so since the demolition of the old barn. This is Jim just starting:He had to dig up lots of clay first and try and make an edge, so that the gravel on the path wouldn't escape!
This is the finished job. A much wider path, flat and covered in gravel. Much better.

It looks even better from the other side as you can see its full width.

We also swept the inside of the old barn and generally tidied it up.

It's all looking a bit better now. I have been searching out flat stones to make a patio in front of the double doors you can see above.

Here's me in my green wellies, working gloves and clothes on and looking very fat!!

When we swept the floor, we discovered some odd holes in the old floor:

I presume there were 4 posts of some sort in the holes. A mystery. The back wall and side wall of the barn were made of clay! Amazing. This is one section of it:

Some of it had been painted so presumably it was a dwelling at first.
Here am I, working on the road at the back of the old barn. We were both amazed at how much better it looked at the end of the day. Still loads more to do of course, but it's a start. Do click on any of the photos to get a detailed view.

Tomorrow will be a post about my ATCs and others I have received in the post, plus some super bits and bobs from my bloggy friends. Phew, such a short blog today!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's really shaping up! Those double doors are so nice. Nalley loves to collect rocks from our creek area and make patios. Too bad he's not there to help you collect those flat stones! You will enjoy these sitting areas so much. Hope you did not overdo today. I'm still recovering from working in our garden yesterday!

BT said...

Hello Mildred, you're always my first visitor! It's looking better, isn't it? When I think of the UK, you have to buy stones there and they cost an absolute fortune. We have huge rocks that would be hundreds of pounds each! They're just lying about here.

I didn't do too much today but it is a temptation! You clearly did yesterday!

Bea said...

You guys did a lot of work today. I hope you are enjoying some good home cooked food with your feet up. The gravel path looks wonderful and what a great area outside your doors,that will be. I can see pots of flowers already.
You aren't fat. Your hair is fat.
And, it doesn't make your butt look big. So there. :)Bea

Olga/Maddie said...

Looks like work is coming along well both where the path and the old barn is concerned. *big smile*

And woman, you are not fat!

So enough of that sort of talk! *BG*

Hope that you and yours are doing all right, that things are going okay, and that today goes all right for you all.

God bless and take care. Bye, :)!
Olga/Maddie

Priti Lisa said...

I'm new here. But, I have to say...
you are not fat, your hair is.
I have the same hair. I was guided here by Bea.
She has great taste in bloggers, as I knew she would.
I guess I will stalk you now, be forewarned :)
xo,Lisa

Jason said...

Hi there, wow like the path, the view behind looks great. Like the Green Island t-shirt!

xx

The Weaver of Grass said...

We have been doing a similar thing after our builders this weekend Gina - doesn't it make you feel better when you have sorted something out? Our bete noir at the moment is the pine needles - no sooner are they swept up (7 barrow loads so far) then they are there again. As the farmer says - if they were each a pound coin he certainly wouldn't need to barrow them away - he could pay somebody to do it (the reverse logic of the statement makes my brain hurt!)
Today the builder is putting double glazing into our bedroom window. We are amazed to find that there are still young housemartins in the eaves and they are not enjoying being disturbed by the hammering. We thought they had all gone. Happy gardening - rain forecast for tomorrow, so you will be able to get on with a few ATC's

Jinksy said...

I can see the muscles bulge (or do I mean ache?) from here!

Carol said...

Oh it's looking fantastic!! You must be chuffed to bits :-)

C x

Heather said...

It's coming together really well now Gina - all your hard work is paying off. Let's hope we have a lovely summer next year to allow you and Jim to relax out there for a change, instead of so much heavy toil.

aims said...

It looks wonderful Gina! Really impressive!

Now - if you think you look fat! You don't want to see any pics of me then.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I can just imagine how long your day was with all that sprucing up of the area. The new path is great. What are your plans for the area where the barn was? Will it be a patio/entertaining area?

Anonymous said...

Great job! Wow, what a LOT of work you have put into this project, but it looks fantastic! And you look anything but fat! You look great!