Monday, April 27, 2009

27th April 09, The Sun Shines on and Off

It's been one of those real April days with showers and sunshine. I did manage to get outside for a while, thank goodness. I was going stir crazy stuck inside. I even managed a photo or two.

My aim today was to weed the rockery. Now the poor old rockery has suffered somewhat since the builders arrived. I still thought it was worth tidying it up, albeit a temporary job. This is what it looked like:



This is a section of it, but you get the general idea









Now, post weed, which was done a bit on and off between the showers!

















I think it's an improvement. You can actually see the Acers. They were about hidden by grass before.








While I was weeding, a little siskin kept eating away at the nuts. I tried, rather hurriedly to take his photo:





It's worth enlarging the photo by clicking on it. It's such a pretty little bird




















































If it's fine tomorrow, I'll try and get closer, I'm sure he wouldn't mind.


Standing on top of one of the rockery stones, I took this shot looking over the arboretum:

I love this view. It'll be what I can see from my studio when it's done. To the left is a little wooded area, then my mother's bird bath, a bird table and the acer bed. You can see the bottom half of the 'snake' bed for the roses too.







I wandered around the front after one of the rain showers and took a few randoms:

I love the mixture of yellows here. It was a bit dull though. Cistus (broom) to the left, euonymous to the centre, then primula in the front and perennial alyssum to the right.














The pieris forrestii is looking magnificent, black tulips in front and white saxifrage spills over the wall.













The 2 trees in pots are Gingko Biloba (or Rocky Bilboa as I call them)! I think this is a particularly pretty section with the rough steps leading up to the allotment area in the background.








One of my all time favourite flowers is Alchemilla Mollis. I brought some from the UK and they are just making a reasonable sized plant. They look wonderful after the rain:





Alchemilla Mollis, centre, miniature hebe to the left, alyssum on the right




















Once it has had some flowers, hopefully they'll spread all over the place.

Tonight Jim made tortilla, which I love. We sat and watched Ashes to Ashes while we ate it. Then it was rhubarb and apple crumble and custard. Rhubarb from the allotment, of course. Aren't you jealous?

I do hope no one is in the vicinity of the nasty swine flu that's hit Mexico so hard. They keep warning us that we're overdue a pandemic. Let's hope the powers that be are wrong this time.

22 comments:

Twisted willow said...

Drat ... an Alchemilla mollis that I must have missed when I was weeding there last. I'll get it next time.

BT said...

NOOOOO. You're a bad bad gardener. No appreciation of true beauty.

Bea said...

LOL I love to see the color in your different gardens. It's been raining here for two days. The grass is a beautiful shade of green. The willow is now actually yellow green in color. It's happening. It's happening. SPRING is coming. Sooooooooooooon sooooooon I hope. I so want to go play in the soil. :)Bea

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

Lots of lovely colors here. How do you keep it green in summer? We keep green up to july then it starts turning brown in August but September rains come back and it green up again here.

Bella Sinclair said...

Hmmmm. Talk about the Hulk, I'm really green with envy! Your view from your studio...sigh...I would never get any work done. I'd be staring out all day.

BT, where do you find the time?! Gardening, renovating, crafting, blogging, cooking and enjoying scrumptious desserts. You must be like Ces and never sleep.

BT said...

Bea, I'm so glad Spring is finally coming to you! It's nearly Autumn here (joke)!! I'm glad you like the different bits of my garden. It makes it more interesting, I think. I'm sewing squares now!

Ha ha Cris, you haven't been to Ireland then?? We have lots and lots of rain, right through the summer. It's called The Emerald Isle because it's always so green. Very little watering required.

Bella, I think I'll probably be just like that. Staring out of the window, watching the birds and admiring the view!

Oh, I don't cook Bella, that's Jim's role! When we got together I said I didn't want to cook and he was happy to do so. Phew! I do stay up late most nights but don't get up early if I can avoid it. I don't do any housework, that's what it is!!!

DK said...

what a very pretty post :-) xxx

BT said...

Thank you K, I do try!!

Katiejane said...

Hi BT, I have been reading your blog off and on for a few days, ever since you visited mine, and I have to say that you have a beautiful area where you live. I'm impressed with your knowledge of plants and your little rockery is so pretty.

I too, love Alchemilla mollis, or Lady's Mantle, as we call it here in the States. I had forgotten about that plant. I'll need to add some to my garden this year.

I'll be back to visit you soon.

Renee said...

BT your garden is such a joy to be able to come and visit.

Boy that dream you had....

BT when you see someone being tortured in a dream would suggest that you are punishing yourself for negative or bad habits. You are projecting yourself onto the other person being tortured. It usually indicates repressed feelings that you can’t let out. The third especially placed in the chest symbolized inner vision and instinct. The two together are telling you that you can see what others cannot and you need to look within as the eye is in the chest to learn to trust your instincts. Forget the head and think of the heart.

That will be five cents.

Love Renee xoxox

Stampmaiden said...

BT, another lovely walk through your garden today and you didn't see me, did you? LOL!
Linda

Son1 said...

Some lovely pics, the combination of the pieris and the black tulips, allyssum (all spelt wrong I'm sure) looks great. The Achemilla Mollis looks great enlarged with the water on it. The 2nd pic looks like it has a fish hook in it.

Tea sounded very nice!

x

DK said...

did I miss an entry? what dream?!

BT said...

katie jane, how good to see you. I loved your blog. Glad you like the 'garden' (we have 5 acres). My husband is a botanist!! I've just always gardened and picked up information along the way. My young son used to call Lady's Mantle hammamelis mollis!! Much more fun.

Renee, 5 cents, is that all?? I have emailed you as my reply was rather long!

Stampmaiden, how good to see you (though I didn't)!! Glad you enjoyed the visit.

Hi Jason, there is actually quite a gap between the pieris and the black tulips, the photo foreshortened it. It still looks good though! I saw the fish hook too!! Jim always pretends he hates Lady's Mantle (alc mollis) just because I love it and it seeds everywhere!! See his remark under 'Twisted Willow' at the top. Tea was delicious!

BT said...

DK, it was from a comment I left on Renee's blog!! She does long blogs on a 'letter' about symbols and what they mean. I think the latest one was things beginning with the letter 'S'. Like sunshine. Interesting.

Carol said...

Your garden looks so lovely.....my garden looks so...well, erm....not lovely!!!

Keep up the good work

C x

Rachel Green said...

You are indeed a wonder worker.

BT said...

But you haven't been there long, have you Carol and Chris?

Oh thank you Rachel.

aims said...

You post a pic of flowers and say it's a bit dull?

Dear Gina - it is still snowing here. The sky is very dark and gray as I look out the window over my desk and it's 1C. I have to go outside today and I don't want to. Not really.

I have 1 solitary tulip by the front door. It started to come up and now it's leaves are lying flat under the snow once more.

Apparently you live in heaven and I obviously am living in hell. Won't Rachel like that anology?

Ces Adorio said...

Oh MY GOD BT! Your garden is an Eden. Do you have an apple tree and do you go wandering around in the nude? Come over. I have a Mental Ninja award for you.

BT said...

Oh aims, how awful for you. I am so sorry, you seem to be feeling down again. I do know what you feel like. I hate cold weather. Come and live in Ireland! You'll need webbed feet here though! I hope your tulip survives!

Love and hugs

Gina
xxxxxxx

BT said...

Ces, at one time I would have happily wandered around in the nude, but now I'd wobble too much!! We have lots of apple trees, and a serpent....... Ooh, a ninja award? Hah. Take that.... (in my best ninja voice).