Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Brambles and Bonfires, to Monday 20 October

It's been pretty grotty weather, but with the odd bit of dry here and there. Jim and I have been working on clearing the brambles back from the boundary hedge. They have encroached so far that they're moving onto the meadow. We have done amazingly well, although the ground is ridiculously wet now. Where we've finished it looks a bit like the Somme! The part we're working on now isn't so bad as it has quite thick grass on it.

I've mostly been a bonfire maker in the evenings, but the past 2 have been too wet. I did try, but it went with a fizzle not a bang. So I gave up. Jim took a few photos of me at work. Not very elegant but practical.








































This is just the start of the fire, it gets much bigger!




I didn't go up there this evening but Jim did and has 'broken through' to the part I was previously clearing from the house end. So we will now be able to walk across the willow plantation part, up to the top of our land, turn left and walk along to the meadow. I'll have to do a map, won't I?

The builders have said they will start our work if they see a dry 'window' when they can do the foundations. I won't hold my breath.

Great news on the Leatherdyke (Rachel) front in that her book is to be published around December 14th. Fabulous. I'm sure it'll be the next Harry Potter in popularity. I'm so excited for her.

My daughter has been on a retreat for 10 days and is now back home and still in one piece! Can't wait to hear all about it.

I've finished weaving both sides of a 'raggy bag' I am making for a friend of DK's for Christmas. Odd colour combination, but it's what they wanted. I now have to make the handle, sew both halves together and line it. Shouldn't take too long. Then I can start making our Christmas presents. I'll enjoy that.

Sorry I've been absent but there's not been much to report and my gloom is still a bit gloomy!!

9 comments:

Ces Adorio said...

I love bonfires. In the winter we build fire in a chimnea in the middle of our yard. Yours look more fun.

Rachel Green said...

Thanks for the pimpage, Gina - I'm quite excited about getting a book on the bookshelves of the world*

*there's optimism for you!

BT said...

I love them too ces. They remind me of my father as we often had bonfires at the end of our garden after a day's work.

Rachel, it's my utmost pleasure to pimp your book!!! I will do it with impunity whenever and wherever I can! You have every right to be optimistic. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy.....

Webradio said...

Hello You !
Your photos are very nice... Il love fires outside...

Thank You for the text...

mansuetude said...

hello book pimper... (i couldn't resist saying that)... what is grotty weather? never heard it before... love your fire

what is the book about?

Chris Stovell said...

Ah, don't be gloomy - not when you have bonfires to enjoy after all the hard work. Budge over and let's all enjoy the warmth!

BT said...

There is something extra special about a bonfire I always feel. I can stay outside for hours with one. Thanks Webradio for dropping by. mansuetude, that made me laugh! Grotty is horrid, nasty, foul, all things bad! Rain, rain rain. I wouldn't deign to tell you the story, you'll have to ask Rachel (leatherdykeuk). I know something of it, but only bits and pieces.

chrish, great to see you (well, the back of your hat)!!! I'm much more cheerful today, in spite of the rain this evening. I worked out in it until it got dark. We had a heavy shower then a beautiful rainbow followed. Glorious. Jim took photos, so hopefully they'll show it to full advantage.

Tess Kincaid said...

Perfect time of year for a nice bonfire, Gina. You needed some marshmellows!

BT said...

oh yum, I might get some for my next bonfire willow.